Registering your vehicle in France

When bringing in a UK registered vehicle to France, you have a duty to register it with your local French authorities, either prefecture or mairie. This involves getting a “carte grise “ (the equivalent to the log book) and new French number plates. Normally, French insurance companies cannot insure vehicles registered in foreign countries because … Read more

Types of car insurance policies

There are 3 levels of cover available to insure a vehicle: third party only ( “Au tiers” ), third party fire and theft ( “Au tiers + vol, incendie, bris de glace”), and fully comprehensive (“tous risques”).   Car owners must carry with them the registration documents of the vehicle, a valid insurance certificate: the … Read more

All risks house insurance

What you have to declare in order to be covered and what is excluded   An all risks (multirisques) insurance policy will cover, not only your public liability, but your home, personal belongings, and those of your household.   The risks covered will include those of fire, explosion, theft and flooding, leaks, storms, snow, vandalism, … Read more

Register your car in France

A step by step guide on using the ANTS site to register your car   Once you have collected all the required documents to file your application for registering your vehicle bought within the European Union, you should register it via the ANTS system (AGENCE NATIONALE DES TITRES SÉCURISÉS) and create a France connect account. You will … Read more

Tips to reduce car insurance premiums

1-Opt for a limited mileage policy : If you drive less than 4000km or less than 8000km per year, you could qualify for a low mileage policy which could save you between 15 to 20%.   2-Understand and check your cover: If your car is worth very little, don’t insure it fully comprehensive; cut out … Read more

No Claims bonus for car insurance

The no claims bonus in France is expressed in coefficient, and not in percentage. It starts at coefficient 1 as a new driver. The coefficient that is earned is multiplied by 0.95 each year without claim at fault until it reaches 0.50 which is the maximum entitlement.   For instance with a coefficient at 0.72 … Read more

Travel safe: 10 things to do before going on holiday

The holiday season is round the corner.   It may sound obvious, but before you do anything else, make sure you have comprehensive car insurance and home insurance in place. If you have any insurance-related questions, please do contact us – our expert insurance advisors will be more than happy to assist.   Although the … Read more

Breakdown Assistance in France

Breakdown assistance is almost always included in the insurance.   In case of break down, the insured must call the assistance provider as it is them who organise the recovery. They will recover the vehicle to the nearest garage, and organise to take the driver and passengers home, or wherever they were travelling to.   … Read more

How to Register a second hand car in France since November 2017

Since November 2017 it is no longer possible to register the sale of secondhand car at the Préfecture , the office that used to handle registrations. Everything must now be done online.   Registration of the vehicle is now done on the website of the Agence nationale des Titres Sécurisées – ANTS. This agency is … Read more