….what are the requirements.
Rule 1: General legal requirements
- All caravans or trailers have to display a number plate. Failing to display a number plate could result in a fine that can go up to 750 euros maximum, in the same way as not being able to show the police your driving license, registration documents, MOT certificate and insurance certificate.
- All trailers must be fitted with their own lights.
Rule 2: Insurance
- The minimum requirement is public liability, then the type of insurance you need will depend on the weight of what you are towing.
- Trailers less than 500kg will be covered under liability only by the insurer. All you need is to notify your insurer. For most insurance providers, it does not need to be declared on your car insurance policy.
- Trailers and caravans of more than 500kg and less than 750 kg have to be declared to the insurer and will automatically be covered for 3rd party liability. They can also be covered for damage and theft. They will have their own “carte grise” and plate numbers.
- Trailers and caravans of more than 750 kg have to be declared to your insurance and have to have their own registration document. They can be covered for liability and damage. Please note that they have to have their own braking system and a parking break.